Thursday, November 12, 2009

UPDATE!

How time flies when you are so swamped that you can hardly breathe!

My many and devoted blog followers have been clamoring for an update. Well, okay... so 2 people have mentioned that the blog has been sadly neglected for the past 4 months or so. BUT... Oh, what good excuses I have!


Excuse number 1 - We went to see the WIZARD!


July & August were spent immersed in the auditorium at Payson High as we directed PCT's "Wizard of Oz". It was a huge cast, a special effects extravaganza, and SO MUCH FUN! Funny how a few months is all it takes for you to forget the WORK involved... well, maybe not forgotten, just mitigated.




The cast really bonded and created a stage "family", which is exactly what you hope for as a director. There were many teary eyes at closing night... and while we don't plan to make people cry, it was awesome to see that it had been a good experience for them. We were very proud with the final results: packed houses, a sold out final performance and a cast that truly enjoyed their time spent here.

And in the midst of our final performance weeks, we received the GOOD NEWS we have been waiting for for half a decade... which led to...


Excuse number 2 - Our NEW HOUSE!

Ain't she a beauty? This was the view this morning during the first snow of the season.
WARNING: Long housing saga follows~
How long have we waited for this??? It's been 5 years (unbelieveable!) since we sold our home in Lynnbrook, and began the quest for our "final resting place". (Metaphorically speaking.) We moved to our first rental in Mapleton, in Dec. of 2004, believing that it would be a "year or so" before we could finalize the development of our land in Lake Shore. So many road blocks in that process. We began to wonder WHY it was so difficult to do this! In the meantime, the Mapleton house was sold and we commenced move #2. (March 2006) Back to Spanish Fork.

We moved into a "gated community" with nice big twin homes but a REALLY difficult neighborhood, (Home of the Parking Nazis!) where we discovered we are much too independent to be dictated to by an HOA! ('Nuff said.) Still working on that Lake Shore subdivision. In fact... the county actually APPROVED us on the condition we would bond for ditch removal and utilities. (Hey, what's another $30,000 anyway?) And in late spring we find out the home we are living in is going to be sold... AGAIN! As luck (Or Divine intervention) would have it, the next door neighbors were moving out at the same time, and wanted to rent their place. (June, 2008) We had to MOVE NEXT DOOR, but in so doing the rent dropped and we gained an extra bedroom, bathroom and family room. So it was worth it. (I can say that now... the week of the move, I thought we might all die. Moving next door just plain SUCKS! You'd think it would be simple. But it was a huge amount of work!)

Are you keeping track? That was the 3rd move in 3 and half years. 7 people, most of them pack-rat-ish girls, and all their STUFF! Now, I know this is boring to most of you, (EVERYONE except maybe Loni) but I gotta get all this stuff down in my journal here!

Our frustration was definitely mounting. The subdivision just didn't seem to be happening. We started looking at other homes to see what was out there and just try to get on with life. This spring, 2009, the tide finally turned. What seemed like bad news, was actually the answer to a lot of frustrated prayers.

The state transporation dept announced that they are planning for a large highway to go through all the farming communities in west Utah County. Yeah, that'd be Lake Shore. (And quite a few other little towns.) Their purpose is to anticipate the growth that is sure to come in the future. The proposed highway has a few different paths being considered, but a couple of them go right through, or very close to, our property. When that was announced, we realized that maybe all of these delays had been a blessing in disguise. If we had pushed through and built our home, we'd be living under an overpass!

The result was... we went househunting in earnest. (All the while directing "Wizard"!) We put 7 offers in on houses this past summer. The first six fell through for the strangest reasons, but all with the final result that offer number 7 created a "clockwork effect" where every detail just fell into place as though it was meant to be. The list of things occuring "just right" would not surprise any of you who understand that the Lord knows more than we do, and has us in His hands.

It's been a crazy couple of months! We had to paint some rooms. (Still have to paint a lot more!) We replaced the carpet and have a fabulous carpenter feverishly finishing our basement for 2 extra bedrooms. OH, and then... another d@^* move! (OUR VERY LAST!! - I swear it!) The rental house is cleaned and emptied, there are boxes every where you turn, and the 3 car garage only currently fits one car... but we are in! Halloween night we slept here the first time, and it truly feels like home.


It's ours. (Well, the bank's... but our name is on it!) Our new ward, Pine Meadows, has been overwhelmingly kind. We had 4 different visitors on our first Sunday here, all bringing gifts of yummy food, and welcoming us to the neighborhood. It was so kind, and so welcoming. A big part of what makes us feel so at home! We really have SO VERY MUCH to be THANKFUL for this year.

Whew.... now aren't you sorry you asked for an update? I am WAY too verbose when I get going! But relax... It'll probably be Easter before I get to it again!

And how fun is it that we get to spend all of the Holidays this year in our new home? I'm trying to talk Steve into hosting a New Year's Eve party. He's betting we can't get the boxes unpacked by then. Who d'ya think will win??

5 comments:

Cynthia said...

Yea for updates! Your new house is beautiful!!! You'll have to post pictures of the colorful rooms. I'm dying to see them. Congratulations!

Amy said...

I want a tour of the house when I'm up there next time! I'm so happy for you guys, you deserve this!

Jade said...

The new house is BEAUTIFUL!!! Congratulations, and yea for one last move! You have such a cute family.

Cec said...

I'd like to move into your ward... seriously. I'm all up for baked bread.

Have I mentioned how much I love your yellow house? :)

Creative Juice by Loni said...

You are correct...I LOVED the details and kept track of each one!

CONGRATULATIONS on arriving in your final destination (and thank you for flying the Poulsen Plane.)

We may be gone for New Years Eve, but keep us informed 'cuz if we are here, we are THERE (at your house, that is).