Wednesday, October 8, 2008

10 (ahem... two week's worth) on Tuesday, er Weds.. maybe THURSDAY!

It's been busy-busy-busy lately, so that results in poor blogging behavior!

I need to recruit Kaila or Sierra to update for me. Also, I've been meaning to create a great post with all of our fabulous Beauty & the Beast pics. Ah well... all in good time. Best not to run faster than you have strength I suppose. One of these days I'll get it done. Probably. Well... maybe.


#1- Shakespeare Competition is over and done! All children present and accounted for. (Seriously that is my biggest stress... getting them all home safe and sound. Taking 35 9th graders on an overnighter is not exactly relaxing!) Aren't they cute, though?

#2- Our kids had a great time at SUU. They did a good job in their performances, but even more importantly, they behaved themselves well! I love to see kids work hard and have good experiences. We didn't feel that we had to place high (95 schools there!) in order to feel it was success. I asked all the kids to tell me something new they had learned, and we had a really powerful team discussion about their new insights.

#3- The dance competition turned out to be the big hit this year. Our school did a Japanese style Kabuki dance to tell the story of "Midsummer Night's Dream". We placed 2nd in our division. I wish I could take credit for the great idea, but it was my assistant coach who came up with the concept and the choreographer who brought it to life. The dance judges were impressed with the melding of two different art forms from two different cultures. We're just glad they got it!
Our other dance was a Hip-Hop number featuring the 3 witches from MacBeth. Jada was one of the witches, so that was also a really fun one to watch.

#4- BROOKE'S DANCE WAS INCREDIBLE!! They were in a separate division than ours, but we were performing in the same room. I came in just after their dance started, but I could immediately tell that it was the story of "King Lear". It was really powerful, and I was not surprised at all to hear that her dance had been chosen for the showcase!! It was very well done. I had to tell everyone at least a hundred times... "That's my cousin! She choreographed that dance!"

#5- Favorite parts of the event: (besides watching all the kiddos perform of course) When Aunt Margo ran up and hugged me just as I was giving marching orders to my kids. They were all looking at us like... "Who is that?" When I told them it was my aunt, they all thought that was cool that she came to watch "us" as Shakespeare! (tee hee)
AND... the gigantic ZION sundae (48 scoops of ice cream!) that our team got to tackle after all our events on Saturday. It was a perfect relaxing way to end the work.

#6- SLEPT like a zombie on Sunday morning, but did get up in time for conference. Could you all feel the difference in President Monson? It was his familiar face and voice, but there was a definite feeling of "This is the prophet". I thought that was cool. (Although I bawled through most of his talk and had to wipe my nose with a towel!)

#7- Got to take the kids to visit Grandma and Grandpa's new zoo! They have 12 new baby animals! 6 kittens and 6 puppies. All of which are soft, furry and adoreable of course. And NO DAD, we do NOT want one to come live at our house!!!!


#8- Erika, Necia, Jada & Samantha are doing the Jr. Drill workshop with Sierra's drill team this week. They are learning the dance and will perform at the FB game on Friday. We'll have to get pics and make a cool post about it next week.


#9- Steven got our 72 hour kits all updated this week. He made a run to Emergency Essentials and came back with lots of "goodies" for the packs. Now, let's just hope they are NEVER needed!


#10- And of course I must mention... ahem... less than a week until Sierra's drill tour to Cali. (Disney & WICKED!) But who's counting???

Other honorable mentions from the week before last:

Attended a Missionary Farewell for one of the kids in our old ward. His dad was the bishop when Steve was a counselor. It was such a fun day because we got to sit and reminisce with many of our old neighbors and friends. Why is it that you don't realize how special people are to you until you don't get to spend time with them anymore??


Kaila's friend Brenden moved to Oregon this week and she's feeling the ouch of that. They're good friends and it's been kind of a tough week. She's starting to get those seperation experiences that happen as you get to the end of high school. Exciting, but kinda scary and sad at the same time! (Janae can tell us all about it, huh?)

1 comment:

Creative Juice by Loni said...

I loved visiting with you last Sunday, too! Still on for Mamma Mia?